Was locking combat zone the right move?

dNStreeeetdNStreeeet Member ✭✭
edited March 21 in Gameplay Discussion

I understand we wanted our lobbies to fill up but at the same time was we being to selfish? Was locking combat zone the right move to do? When it comes to the community and this is me as well we all seem to go by what the majority says. 1 streamer says lock combat zone and the whole entire community starts saying the same thing. I mean I thought it would stop cheats but obviously cheats are still on the game and an og gave me a serious talk yesterday. They said that I complain lots about hackers and dsync in Z1BR but when you take a look at Fortnite and Apex Legends those games have more hackers and even dsync than Z1 Battle Royale and they are totally correct.

I did some serious thinking about this. New players when they come to Z1 Battle Royale they dont stand a chance. But as I was on the Playstation 4 version of H1z1 yesterday I took a look at the modes that they have I mean they have a free for all mode I really enjoyed but we had cz that was our FFA mode and then they also had 1 other mode which was very good which I will be making a post about later is the weapon training mode. In this mode you can practice the recoils it is PVE not PVP. I honestly wish there was some way for the devs to create that for us on Z1BR. Why would this mode fit well in our game I will go into more later about that mode.

Folks we gotta make it where the new players feel they will have a chance. Because lets be honest we dont just want to let players win just because they are new to the game and I am sure a new player does not want that as well. They want to win knowing they earned that win not just handed to them. Now back to on topic. Combat zone. Did we make the mistake as a community by telling the devs to lock combat zone? This mode helps new players learn the game. They go and they play in this mode and they learn the game they learn how the mechanics etc. But by locking it we forced our new/returning players to play against us beasts/experienced players standing no chance against us most the time. We could have waited until the returning players/new players felt comfortable enough to go in a match when they felt ready. I believe we made the mistake this time. Honestly I think combat zone should be unlocked forever and I think that we as a community specially me myself need to think when the devs put a mode into our game such as combat zone we need to think why did they do it before we ask them to remove it. And we also as a community need to stop this popularity stuff and need to think for ourselves. I found myself for a while trying to go with popularity even though I did not feel that way about something.

Because this is how it starts. A streamer complains says something needs to be removed and then it goes viral fast and twitter is filled with #removesomethingfromthegame and we are all guilty of this. At the time we might think something is good for the game but we have to think about how good is it and how long will it stay good because we had about 9k players and now on 3/21/2019 we are down to 4-5k players. We locked combat zone as a community. We spoke we got it locked. But what we also did was we forced new players and returning players to play in lobbies vs us experienced players where they will just get instant 2 tapped and have to go back to the lobby over and over again. And we all was new to this game at one point but even back then in pre season 3 lets be honest not everyone was a god like they are now. To keep it simple I NOW believe locking combat zone was a mistake of our game to do. CDNthe3rd and summit the 1st thing they hopped in when they came back to our game before when the game went free 2 play is combat zone. In order for our new/returning players to stand a chance they gotta get their skills up and combat zone let them do that combat zone helped the Free 2 play players didnt it? Lets look at the players who came to this game when it went free 2 play look at em now they are freaking masters at the game as if they have been playing it for years. But regular modes did not do that for them not at all. It was combat zone that got them that skill they missed out on all the years they did not play our game.

Comments

• jDONjDON Member

A large part of the community wanted the CZ to stay, at least for the first week. Especially when so many mechanics were getting changed with the Season 3 update.

People say CZ killed lobbies but that wasn't actually the case. The game was in a state where there was no reason to play for MONTHS.

First we were told SOON btw.

After we broke ground on the SOON news a few things could have been added to entertain us until the Season 3 update hit.

1) new skull store items
    2) new victory crate
    3) fun reward system
    4) convert skulls to credits (saved skulls went to waste)
    5) reduce the ridiculous cost of opening crates with skulls/credits given the awful drop rate of ultra rares
    6) I'm aware a a battle pass and trade up system are in the works but they were needed long ago

Due to the lack of reasons to play, lobbies became smaller and smaller.

A showdown was announced for the best players in the game (which is awesome) but when mixed with small lobbies it wasn't fun. Why would anyone want to play the BR portion when there was no reason to play and it be a total sweat fest? I'd much rather play CZ while I waited for the big update.

CZ does not need to be permanent but things to be considered:
    1) make CZ the pregame lobby for all modes
    2) add a training grounds were you have zombies spawn and run around at different distances and elevation (because it's against AI there's no artificial incentive to grind all day, just a simple 'warm up')
    3) keep CZ as is

• FebruaryFebruary Member ✭✭

I’ve always been on the side of let people play what they want, if people stay in combat zone and never come out it only shows that you need to make the BR portion of the game better and more attractive.

That being said I’ve decided to take up the cause of 5v5. Instead of combat zone add a 5v5 gametype, it will fill the same role as CZ giving players a place to play with respawns and give new players an easier place to learn mechanics. As well as makinging it less of an infinite time sink and more a structured game for people to play.

• I also would like to see cz back again. I like the 5v5 respawn idea but matching ranks also so the new players do not get slaughtered by experienced players in cz and br. Cz can only benefit the game because it's practice for what. The br mode. At some point they will feel confident enough to play with the big boys. Go Z1BR

• LivPrimeLivPrime Member ✭✭✭

If they don't plan on changing their game plan in some way or bringing out a surprise update to reinvigorate the player counts, I think it should come back. I'd rather play combat zone than dynamic gas lobbies. If I am not allowed to play combat zone, then I just won't play. Keeping combat zone locked isn't really doing what was intended anymore. It doesn't funnel me toward solo's. It just causes me to watch streams or play other games. I don't play H1/Z1 for the BR. I play for the unique combat. I'd rather have something that allows me to shoot people repeatedly than something with loading screens/lobbies/looting. But if the majority likes it this way, who cares :)

• domundichdomundich Member ✭✭✭

I never bothered playing CZ in the past because we got no xp in there, but now there's no point in caring about what level my account is because we get nothing when we level up, so I'd happily play CZ. I'd like to see it unlocked at some point, preferably sooner rather than later.

• StrikeZoneStrikeZone Member

no

• When the cz came out I was able to get a decent skill level and I felt good about going into br. I don't have a lot of time to play. Combat zone would help me catch up. The loading looting running across open field time to combat time ratio is not enough for me to keep my skill level up. Feels like being a noob again. With my minimal play time I might not be z1's target audience but I do support with dev skins. Going to other games till some kind of combat target practice is back.

• SinyaSinya Member

To answer the question, yes.

H1 was all about battle royale and not a deathmatch mode where nothing really counts so yea, thank god that **** was removed since it also moved 80% of its current playerbase from the BR mode.

Now they're going to other games completely, instead of at least contributing to the general population of the game on Steam.

Take choice and preference away from a player and they often look elsewhere for it. It's a simple solution. The comment from @CrookEyeBandit above is evidence of that.

If Combat Zone had been available at the launch of Season 3, new players would've had the best method available to get better at the game, to learn the guns, the recoil etc, plus something that would've made them feel like they're actually okay at it. A game mode that's just simple fun, somewhere they could jump into when solos has become too harsh But of course the community knows best.

[Insert revert/remove hashtag]

• LivPrimeLivPrime Member ✭✭✭

Perhaps if they lessened the size of the combat zone map (maybe just the city section) and allowed a max of 8-10 players to play it for each server, it would be better about taking massive amounts of players from BR queues. If people choose to play CZ over BR, it says something bigger. It says the BR is not fun enough/not capturing enough attention/doesn't have a good replay value. Removing options for the game just to force people to play your BR isn't really intelligent because it just alienates some of the playerbase. I understand that you want lobbies to fill for your own game mode, but forcing people to play with you isn't well thought out. You want people who WANT to play the BR mode to play it. You want people who will stick with it. I used to play around in combat zone when my friends were not home because I have absolutely no desire to play solo BR. Now, instead of forcing people like me into solos, you just lose a player that would have given the game more numbers on steam. @Sinya

Most people play the game for its unique combat, not because it is a BR anymore. If you want BR exclusively, there are many better/more polished titles out there. It is the combat that still makes the game unique in any way. If more people would rather play a game mode other than BR with the combat style of H1, then the playerbase has spoken anyway. That would be an indication that people want something different.

• Dahl1nDahl1n Member

@Sinya said:
    To answer the question, yes.

H1 was all about battle royale and not a deathmatch mode where nothing really counts so yea, thank god that **** was removed since it also moved 80% of its current playerbase from the BR mode.

now 80% of the pop left :) have fun u **** silver

• the_truththe_truth Member

can someone get this hypocrite off this forum the way he's been forced off reddit with about 15 different accounts?

" streamer says lock combat zone and the whole entire community starts saying the same thing."
    "A streamer complains says something needs to be removed and then it goes viral"

if you put so much stock in streamers opinions....if you think they have so much pull..... then why are you speaking so horribly about this game? wont all three of your "followers" then spread your bullsh|t?
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/404376217?t=17m21s
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/400022595?t=05m54s
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/404376217?t=44m26s
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/397583475?t=19m32s
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/399029491?t=07m23s

there's plenty more in vods. I've seen this dude tell people to kill themselves(in combat zone btw) and all the other normal toxicity that's one of the actual problems with the game. Just another wall of text from a hypocrite toxic player....move along people.

Those videos don't look good on Dnstreet, at all. But that's on him to defend, if he chooses to. It's pretty much what he's known for in the community though.

The streamer effect is very real, but I disagree that small streamers have the same influence, they simply don't. Although I guess one or two viewers might check the game out on Twitch, see that from him and not bother to play.

But, you're absolutely right, it is hypocritical to be so acutely toxic about the game and to other players, while taking on the stance of loving the game and wanting it to do well. The two can't exist together.

To @dNStreeeet I'd like to say this: You need to get a handle on your passion my dude, it too often bleeds into all out toxicity and then just stays there. Think about what you say and post, and then think if it's really what you what to be represented by.

• dNStreeeetdNStreeeet Member ✭✭
    edited April 2

@the_truth said:
    can someone get this hypocrite off this forum the way he's been forced off reddit with about 15 different accounts?

" streamer says lock combat zone and the whole entire community starts saying the same thing."
    "A streamer complains says something needs to be removed and then it goes viral"

if you put so much stock in streamers opinions....if you think they have so much pull..... then why are you speaking so horribly about this game? wont all three of your "followers" then spread your bullsh|t?
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/404376217?t=17m21s
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/400022595?t=05m54s
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/404376217?t=44m26s
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/397583475?t=19m32s
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/399029491?t=07m23s

there's plenty more in vods. I've seen this dude tell people to kill themselves(in combat zone btw) and all the other normal toxicity that's one of the actual problems with the game. Just another wall of text from a hypocrite toxic player....move along people.

My man you tried your best with this post to make me look bad let me tell you something right now 0 cares given about what you or anyone thinks of me. I have always loved H1z1 but this game is trash now and I will say it over and over and over as I said in that video this game is absolutely trash. The players do nothing but tryhard as if they are playing for a million dollars even in 18 player lobbies. As I said you dont see PS4 H1z1 players hiding behind fences as you do on Z1BR on PC and thing is H1z1 on PS4 is wayyy more casual they actually play the game to have fun and not play as if its pro league

I also said in those videos you posted above that the devs seem to lack the ability to stop cheats and well honestly how many updates came out for anticheat? Well? And how many times has the anticheat failed and cheaters are back playing the game again the next day. I will say the anticheat has improved though 100% cheaters are getting banned alot now

This game is terrible how it is right now. It should piss you and any other H1z1 players off that a game like PUBG with its more terrible mechanics can hold a 900K playercount in 2019 2 years after the game was released! And yet here we are with a 2k average playercount on Z1 Battle Royale trying to change up our recoils still and figure out how to make movement. Which I will say another thing everytime I ever posted anything on reddit being positive about this game if it was not about pre season 3 it was downvoted and removed but the automod. I even made posts very much positive and supporting the game yet was downvoted and talked trash too by ppl like you who is all nostalgic about pre season 3. Btw we got PS3 but yet we still got a 2k playercount lmaoo So anyways I had to create new accounts everytime because unless my posts was about pre season 3 and how it should come back my posts would get downvoted by the nostalgic know it alls that have ruined this game to its current point so do not tell me about being positive because I was more than supportive and positive on reddit in my posts until I was harrassed daily constantly by ppl who wanted pre season 3 and nothing but that and if I was not supportive of that and my posts was not about that they would get downvoted and removed by you players!! Ive been on this game since 2015 since the start of H1z1 the_truth do not come into my post telling me what you think of me cause I could give 0 cares my man. You reddit ppl also told me I would never get royalty and guess what after playing this game since 2015 I finally hit royalty in Season 3 in a actual season and royalty 3x in a offseason while grinding and supporting this game by playing 20 player solos against hackers and terrible dsync!

I am actually honored you stalk my twitch videos that much did not know I had that huge of fans here if it makes ya feel any better I will delete them. About being toxic man all I can tell you is we all have been toxic in this game at some point. I have been playing since 2015 and nah I was not toxic back then but you are correct I did get toxic this past year in H1z1 im sure we all have.

edited April 2

@domundich said:
    Those videos don't look good on Dnstreet, at all. But that's on him to defend, if he chooses to. It's pretty much what he's known for in the community though.

The streamer effect is very real, but I disagree that small streamers have the same influence, they simply don't. Although I guess one or two viewers might check the game out on Twitch, see that from him and not bother to play.

But, you're absolutely right, it is hypocritical to be so acutely toxic about the game and to other players, while taking on the stance of loving the game and wanting it to do well. The two can't exist together.

To @dNStreeeet I'd like to say this: You need to get a handle on your passion my dude, it too often bleeds into all out toxicity and then just stays there. Think about what you say and post, and then think if it's really what you what to be represented by.

Bro 1st off dont tell me about my passion or how my passion is the only one that knows that is me and let me tell you I have been playing this game since 2015 the passion is real. Toxicity wise? Yes I have been toxic before I am sure we all have at times I am no angel and I have made mistakes in the past with my toxicity in game. But my passion for the game is real. I want to see this game get 900K players not PUBG! I have been playing this game since 2015 I know the power this game has there is no mechanics like Z1 Battle Royale has in any season including the combat update. Not even JK even in the combat update our mechanics was still better than PUBG mechanics! Nah we as a community though are all nostalgia just like with Z1 remastered ppl got all overyhyped about that and then a month or 2 later started saying bring back Z2! We have constantly tried to bring back old mechanics and community still not satisfied we have changed up our mechanics in this game so many times man and when that is done guess what players have to learn a new game all over again. The devs did their job man the only thing the devs have fault in is the horrible job of dealing with cheaters in this game which has also seemed to improve because the anticheat is actually banning ppl now constantly. And the lack of advertisement. There is no reason even with H1z1 bad reputation that PUBG should have 900K players but Z1BR only has held 2k player average playercount for a year now. THAT is what pisses me off as a player/OG who has played this game from the start! I love this game. At the same time though I will speak how I feel of the game I have spent years playing and I will give my honest thoughts about it

Look, I'll be frank, I don't care what you do. I don't care how toxic you want to be. Go all out, it's not my concern. It makes you look bad, not me. Same with anyone, their actions reflect on them.

As for your 'passion'. I was trying to be nice, trying to word it in a nice neutral way, as advice should be delivered. It actually isn't passion though, it's simple plain toxicity. Everything in those videos is toxicity and we all know that it's the tip of the iceberg. But that's okay, some people are just toxic in their heart and know no other way. You do you, it really doesn't bother me.

Can't we all stop the whole dropping when we started playing the game thing, or how many hours we have. No one really cares, let's face it. Finding what works for a game is about finding common ground, not dictating what's best based on how long a person has played a game. Someone might install this game today, play for a while and have some perfect ideas of what's missing to bring some success. You're an OG, I'm an OG, it doesn't matter to anyone, it gives neither of us any divine right to anything. The only thing it means is that we both bought a very different game roughly 4 years ago.

I'm not a fan of PUBG, but there's reasons why other people are, clearly with that playerbase. Lack of cheaters can't be anything to do with that though because that game has had massive problems with hackers. I've never seen PUBG advertised lately, not for a long time. My guess on why people play PUBG has always been variety of guns and gun mechanics, plus the maps. I honestly don't know, but like most things, it will vary from person to person. PUBG offers a lot of different things to different players, that in my opinion is where it's success resides.

What is obvious to me though is this game now has far too little content in it, especially when compared to it's BR competitors. It has stagnated heavily over time, with the community focusing the devs attention on reverts and removing any changes brought to the game, such as weapons or spawn select. While all the time more BRs appear with much more to offer than this one.

I'll finish by saying that no game has any claim to the right of success, regardless of its origins. This game and its community have done more than enough self-harm to destroy itself several times over. It's time to change the habits of its lifetime and think of how to move it forward before it runs out of chances at redemption. It needs to freshen itself up, add content in numerous ways and stop relying on the 'glory' of the past to feed the success of the future.

edited April 2

"I am actually honored you stalk my twitch videos that much"

HA! it took a total of 5 minutes to find those clips because there WAS so much toxic footage.....be glad I didn't actually "try my best" to make you look bad or I could have posted all the shit you said that was ban-able. You make yourself look bad no one else does.

You should listen to @domundich , he's trying to give you some good advice even though you clearly don't deserve it.

Here's some advice from me since you deleted all your vods…..don't ever call anyone a pus5y again like you did over and over again in that last clip that you deleted. Deleting your vods is about the most pus5y thing you can do after getting called out for them. You lost your privilege.

Yet @the_truth you was one of TTHUMPS biggest supporters! You are right man I have been toxic. I will try to improve on it. Have a good day.

man, you're really reaching at this point....I don't use this handle in h1 lol... nor do I have anything to do with thump. Sad...maybe quit making shit up and listen to the last part of your post.

@the_truth said:
    man, you're really reaching at this point....I don't use this handle in h1 lol... nor do I have anything to do with thump. Sad...maybe quit making shit up and listen to the last part of your post.

Might have you confused with another person my fault man. Listen I understand what you mean and its true I have been toxic and I will do my best to improve on that.